A 15-20 minute nap – and no longer than 30 minutes- will provide enough of an energy boost. A long nap may cause grogginess and you may have a hard time waking up. If you can’t sleep, don’t worry, resting can be as revitalizing as napping.
- Do you need to lose weight? Find out what the Right Weight for you is. Calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI).
“X”= your weight in lbs
“Y”= height in inches“X” x 705= “Z” – Multiply your weight by 705
“Z” / “Y”= “A” – Divide the previous result by your height
“A” / “Y”= BMI – Divide the previous result by your height again
A BMI of 18.5 to 24.5 may indicate the optimal weight. The wide range is due to the variety of body composition in bone and muscle among healthy people. Women in general have less muscle and bone than man do, so the optimal BMI for women will usually fall toward the bottom of the range.
Underweight: less than 18.5
Ideal: from 18.5 to 24.5
Overweight: from 24.5 to 30
Obese: from 30 or higher
- Are We Aware of the Pesticides in our Foods? Highest concentration of pesticides are found in peanuts and raisins. Choose organically grown peanut butter.
Fruits: The thicker the peel, the less concentration of pesticides. However, fruits such as cantaloupes have a very porous skin, which can absorb pesticides.
Good choices: Bananas, oranges, tangerines, lemons, grapefruits, pineapples, watermelon and figs.
If you eat a lot of the following fruits, organically grown varieties may be a better choice:
Apples, pears, grapes, strawberries, peaches, kiwi, prunes, cherries, blackberries and blueberries.
Vegetables: When using not organically grown vegetables, wash them well with water and soap.
Vegetables with the highest levels of pesticides: lettuce, spinach and potatoes.
Remove the outer two or three layers of lettuce and spinach. When eating not organically grown potatoes, don’t eat the skin.
- Got Hiccups?Drink a tablespoon of pickle juice or if you have a lemon, try sucking on a lemon wedge. Their strong flavor stimulates the taste receptors and shock your diaphragm’s nerves out of the spams.
- Can’t sleep? Got a snoring partner?Ask your partner not to sleep on his or her back. Have your partner sleep on his/her side or stomach. You could try putting a pillow under his/her back to make it more difficult for him or her to roll over during his/her sleep. A humidifier may be helpful as it could end the snoring caused by dry air.
- Dealing with a HangoverDrink plenty of water, as much as you can. Alcohol can easily dehydrate your body which is the cause for a throbbing headache.
You could also try orange juice. The fructose which is a natural sugar in the juice, may help burning off alcohol faster and restore the blood sugar level. Also, orange juice contains a good dose of potassium which is a mineral that is lost during urination. Low potassium levels can make you feel week and shaky.
- Sneezing is good
It provides necessary protection against toxins or disease-causing microbes before they can do any damage.If you feel you are about to sneeze, is best not to suppress it.It may cause an infection by forcing the germs and viral particles into the Eustachian tubes, which connect to the middle ear.
- Cherries for Arthritis PainDrink plenty of cherry juice, at least one glass a day for four days in a row. Discontinue for the next four days and start drinking again for four more days. Keep repeating this cycle. If available, use organic cherries without added sugar. You could either use fresh, frozen or canned cherries.
Some people have had good results from eating regular amounts of cherries and drinking one glass of cherry juice a day.
Experiment to see how this remedy can work for you.
- Lower Your Blood Pressure
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
- Replace salt with different seasonings.
- Reduce your fat intake
- Increase your calcium
- Eat less meat and dairy products
- Eat garlic
- Increase your intake of potassium. Bananas are an excellent source.
- Increase your intake of fiber and magnesium.
- Excercise regularly
- Quit smoking
- If you are overweight, try to lose some weight. A small weight loss can make a big difference.
- Are We Drinking Enough Fluids a Day? – Our body needs it for its maximum efficiency
Our body depends on water for important vital tasks such as transporting nutrients and other substances around the body and regulating the temperature.
It is recommended that we drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluids a day spread over the day to keep our body’s water levels steady. Caffeinated drinks such as coffee, tea and colas, as well as alcoholic beverages should be avoided because they increase urination, leading to water loss from our body, resulting in dehydration. When sweating a lot or taking medications, it may become necessary to take ten to twenty glasses a day.
Our best bet is to observe our urine color and frequency. Pale yellow is a good sign. Frequent urination is a good sign too, though sometimes it could be caused by medication or a medical condition.
- Blisters – Choosing the Right Shoes
Heat, friction and moisture are the cause for blisters on your feet. A loose shoe creates friction when the foot moves around in it. When shopping for shoes, wear or bring with you the type of sock that you are actually going to wear with your new shoes. The ideal time to shop for your shoes is in the afternoon when your feet are most swollen, this will ensure that your shoes are not too tight for your afternoon feet.
When you are trying your new shoes, stand up and make sure that there is a thumb-width between your big toe and the end of your shoe.
If you excercise, make sure that you are wearing the right socks to prevent blisters. A mixture of synthetic material and wool is ideal. The synthetic material will keep your feet dry by drawing the moisture out, and the wool will protect your feet from the shoe. You could also wear two pairs of socks. A thin synthetic material to wick moisture away from the feet and the outer pair should be thick to absorb friction.
- Shinier Hair with Vinegar
Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a pint of water and apply to hair. This makes and excellent hair rinse, especially if you have oily hair, that will remove shampoo buildup and will add shine to your hair. Rinse with plain water to remove the smell.